Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Myla Ruth

She's here! Shes been here for about 3 months now but i'm just getting to this now.


I'll give you a quick little synopsis of the labour story.
I started having very mild contractions anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes apart from 3 o'clock in the morning on. I knew that this meant that labour was in the beginning phases but didnt know how early it was or how long it was going to last. It was like that all day long and I was able to do everything as i normally would, except Adam stayed home from work that day just in case. Good thing he did, because around 2 pm they picked up and became very intense very fast! Izzy was beginning to wonder why mommy was making such funny noises so we got our neighbors to come get her as soon as possible as per the plan.

Contractions were now 3-5 minutes apart and I was thinking we should leave for the hospital soon but didnt want to head out too early. I was 34 hours with Izzy so surely I couldnt be too short with this one.

Before leaving I eased myself in to the tub to try to see if that would help the contractions but no such luck, i think they became more intense actually. I got out of the tub and after going through some very strong contractions on all fours, I threw up. It was in that moment that i NEEDED to go.
Anyone who has been in labor, knows how awful it is in the car and this time was no exception. Especially when you are leaving your house at 5:30pm during peak time. I prayed the whole way that we wouldn't hit traffic and Jesus answered our prayers. We hit a few lights, but all in all it was quite quick. Thankfully!
It was interesting walking through the lobby and getting into the elevator with other people while having a contraction...can you say awkward! And then falling to all fours the second the doors open because you start another one. Yup...very interesting indeed.

They checked me immedietely and I was 5 cm along. I was feeling discouraged because with Izzy at 5 cm it still took a long time for her to come out. The pain was so much more intense after that, far more than my first labor and I remember grabbing hold of Adams shirt, pulling him close and hissing "I can't do this anymore". The midwives kept saying to me that it wouldnt be long now, but who really knows what that means or how long it actually is. Minutes later I started feeling the need to push and one of the midwives said that she could see the head. I told her that she really was serious when she said it wouldnt be long now. (praise Jesus!) I think I pushed for a total of 3 minutes, and our beautiful baby girl was born at 6:47pm! Add that up and its 47 minutes from getting to the hospital and only being 5 cm to Myla being born. Amazing!!! Heck of a lot better than 34 hours!! Sadly my ob (who i loved) didnt even make it for the birth. She got there a few minutes after she was born and was so excited that it had gone so quickly for me.

We are so blessed by this beautiful baby girl. Isabel loves her baby sister so much and we are loving being a family of 4.









1 comment:

  1. That pretty much sums up my birth story of our new little girl. Contractions 10 min apart starting at 3:30 in morning. Slowed down around lunch time. Picked up and picked up FAST just after dinner. Got to hospital 35 min before she was born while standing at side of bed. Didn't even have a hospital bracelet yet!

    ReplyDelete